If you’re looking for a way to add some extra security to your home network, you may want to consider installing Diversion on your Asus router.
In this article, we’ll show you how to install Diversion on an Asus router running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
We’ll also discuss some of the things to keep in mind before you begin the installation.
Things You Should Keep In Mind Before You Begin
Before you begin, there are several things you need to keep in mind so that the installation process will go smoothly and much easier.
These are things:
- Get your existing wifi naming and passwords ready.
- You would need two laptops.
- Print out all the necessary links or text if necessary.
- Make use of a notepad or notebook to keep track of things
- If you have connection issues, you can aswell take advantage of ASUS docking station.
Hard Factor Reset Your Asus Router
Resetting your Asus router will be the first thing you want to do before you can begin to upgrade to the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
1. Turn the router completely off.
2. Now, press the “WPS” and hold the button and turn the router on.
3. While the Power light is on, keep on holding the WPS button.
4. Once the power light goes off, release the WPS button.
5. Manually restart your router by pressing the power button.
Downloading The Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware
Downloading this firmware is easy but if you have difficulty doing so, you should follow the instructions listed below.
1. Make sure your computer is connected to your asus router.
2. Visit your router home page >> Router.asus.com.
3. Login in with your router’s username and password
4. Take note of your firmware version RT-XXXXX.
5. Visit Asuswrt-Merlin to download the firmware.
6. In the Download locations section, click on Main download site.
7. Scroll down to find your router firmware version and click on it.
8. Click on Release.
9. Click on the newest version which is usually the top one.
10. Once it is done downloading, you should extract it to a folder.
Upgrading Your Router Firmware To Asuswrt-Merlin
Now that you have downloaded the Merlin firmware, now we need to go ahead to upgrade your ASUS router.
1. Go back to your router’s homepage.
2. Click on administration on the left.
3. Switch the tab to the Firmware Upgrade.
4. Click on Upload where you see a manual firmware update.
5. Navigate to the extracted firmware file.
6. Choose the Merlin file which has a W file type.
7. Select open.
8. Now your Firmware will begin to upgrade.
How To Install Diversion On Asus Router
Installing asuswrt- merlin on ASUS router:
1. Make sure you have downloaded the Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware
2. Install the firmware on your computer
3. Run the wireless setup, and use a temporary username and password
4. Once completed, hard reset your router as explained above.
5. You should now run the setup accordingly to your existing wifi username and password.
7. Make sure you separate 2.4 and 5ghz
6. Enable SSH and other security with the tutorial below.
7. Change your 5ghz and other professional settings for wireless whereby the Channel and frequency, should be easy, starting from 60 or high 145 with DFS and all the rest should be default.
Note: Rebooting the wireless router process may be longer, so just use 60 or 145.
8. SSH into your router with PuTTY using the tutorials below.
9. Run the amtm curl, you will find it on the next posts
10. Finally, use the L&LD references on the posts.
11. You have now opened a new door of adblocking on router level and better security dns blocking.
How To Use PuTTY Standard To SSH Into Your Router
1. Visit router.asus.com
2. Input your username and password.
Default login details:
- User: admin
- Pass: passwords
3. Click on administration from the tab by your left-hand side.
4. Navigate to the system tab.
5. Scroll down to the Service section.
6. Set Enable SSH to LAN only.
7. Scroll down and click on apply.
To access SSH/SFTP, you would need two SSH client software’s.
Here’s how to download them:
1. Visit WinSCP website.
2. Click on the download button to begin the download.
3. Install the WinSCP software after the download has finished.
4. Launch WinSCP.
5. You will get a login prompt once you have launched it.
6. Change the file protocol to SCP.
7. Host name is router.asus.com or the routers IP.
8. Port is 22.
9. The username and password is your router login details.
10. Click on Save.
11. check the box to save password and click on Ok.
12. Click on login.
13. Click on yes whenever you get a prompt.
14. Now you have gained access in to your router’s SSH file explorer.
1. Visit PuTTY website.
2. Scroll to the Alternative binary file section and download from the putty.exe (the SSH and Telnet client itself) section.
3. Choose the right bit file in relation to your system configuration to download.
4. Install the software after the download is completed.
5. Input your hostname which is router.asus.com or the router IP.
6. Click on Open.
7. Choose yes when you get a prompt.
8. The login details is the router’s username and password.
That’s it! You have successfully installed diversion on your Asus router. If you experience any problems, please let us know in the comments below and we will do our best to help you out.
Thanks for patience and be sure to check back often for more great tutorials like this one.